Friday, July 9, 2010

About this Blog-Day One

I have always been one that sets large goals and will do anything to achieve them. There is one goal that I have been battling for years that I have never been able to conquer, the battle over my weight. For years, I have gone up and down on the roller coaster of weight. This whole process started in my early twenties when I had about 50 pounds to lose. I decided to try a weight loss drug called Xenadrine (not the of today, but the one that was filled with ephedra!) While using this supplement, I became jittery and anxious. After taking this for awhile, I finally realized that I was harming my body. Once I stopped taking the pills I gained 50 more pounds over the next year. Three years after taking these pills, I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. This diagnosis was tough for me to take. I began eating and not caring because I thought that it Hypothyroidism was an end all. I had seen so many "fat" people with this problem that just stayed fat. The truth is, I was depressed. After that, the Yo-yo dieting began. So, here I am today, 100 pounds overweight looking for a permanent fix. Amazingly this weight has never kept me from my dreams. I have been on several physical archaeological digs and I teach! I would like to get this weight off to be healthy, set a good example for my students, and (I hate to say it) improve my appearance. Teaching is a profession that you need to look good in and to achieve my other major goal of starting a museum program for underprivileged students my appearance is just as important!

I decided to start this blog for two reasons. The first reason is to hold myself accountable for everything I put into my mouth and to monitor my progress. The second is to use this as a tool to help keep track of my home cooking. I am trying to cook myself thin while following the Weight Watchers program. This is not an easy feat for me because I do not have a lot of time to spare, and truth be told I am not the greatest cook. Most of my meals come from packages because I can open them, throw them in, and viola, instant meal! This is my worst habit to date. So on this blog everyday you will see what I ate, what I used, nutrition information, and Weight Watchers Points. My goal for this blog is to cook at least four homemade meals a week. With God on my side, I intend to make this goal my most successful yet!! So, with all that said, let the games begin!

2 comments:

  1. Karen, Best wishes to you. I know what a hard battle it is...been trying to lose weight for a long time myself. I am queen of the yo-yo diet! Monday I start again..after my 20 year hs reunion this weekend :) Maybe we can keep each other motivated..I want to lose 100 pounds too!
    Love and miss you! Wish I was closer so we could do this together!
    ~Bubbles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey...you know my struggles with weight loss, too! But, at 50 I can honestly say that looking good is no longer a major priority, especially after an illness did much to change my appearance! Losing weight to feel good, is a much higher priority in my life now! At 50, I want to run with the 25 year olds, still! As you are one of my best friends...I hope and pray that you and I will be an encouragement to achieving our goals, together! I'm so very proud of you for starting this blog...the beginning!

    ReplyDelete